Monday, January 11, 2010

Happy New Year - Twenty Ten


Happy New Year goal buddies! What is the new year going to bring for you? It's hard to believe it's already 2010! Wasn't it 1999 a few years ago? Time flies when you are having fun!

Ever since I started back in the classroom in October, I find myself blogging less and focusing on fine tuning my diabetes less than I would like. I felt like I had everything dialed in the best that I've ever had it dialed in and feel like the gains that I made this summer are starting to slip away slowly. Is that because I'm slammed with responsibilities at school or is it just life happening? Over the years I've realized that I can't do it all and I certainly can't even attempt to do it all perfect like I would like to! Damn perfectionism, I hate when it gets in my way! One of my New Years resolutions is to jump back on my continued focus with my diabetes control and my other resolution is to enjoy the simple moments of teaching that should be cherished and let the rest of the challenges in the classroom roll off my shoulders. Let 'em roll.

I spent a wonderful two weeks with Erik in Thailand during winter break and spent a lot of time being present during our travels. My mind always drifts back to frustrations at work when I am stressed out but my mind was as present as it could possibly be while in Thailand. It felt awesome to be so present, so spontaneous, and so free! Our trip was a great break from reality and showed me that there is a lot more to life than the comforts of home. I often wonder if a simple life provides more. I've always felt more appreciate of the friendships and people in my life than I do about material goods. The Thai people seemed to have a strong sense of community and belonging that was witnessed wherever we traveled. I'm finding myself having trouble describing our trip to others because there was just something about it that was fairly life changing but I can't point a finger at anything in particular. I've come back to the states with the travel bug and I can't wait for the years of exploration to come!

I'm considering joining Team WILD this spring to focus my efforts on training for a sprint or international distance triathalon. I'm going to kick around the idea for a few more weeks before I decide. I always jump into new situations head over heels and before I know it I get myself into things that are far too time consuming. We'll be skiing for the next 4 months and then once the snow melts I'll be looking for something else...we'll see!

That's all for now!
-Cottonmouth Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment