Saturday, October 17, 2009

Excited to Inspire...

I guess I understand what it's like to go from 0 to 60 in a really short amount of time. Last time I blogged I was waiting to hear back from a few teaching jobs and now I'm gainfully employed and find I have a lot less time on my hands! It's all great though and I can't complain at all. Last week Monday I started at Denny International Middle School as a 6th/8th grade math & science teacher. I'm really excited because this is the first school where I feel a strong sense of support from the administation. I think administrative support is key to the success of any school. I feel so incredily lucky to be employed. Although last week was crammed with learning logistics about the school, introducing myself to teachers and students, and getting my classroom all set up, I felt like I truly appreciated the opportunity to finally get to do what I've been wanting to do since we got back to Seattle. I'm really looking forward to inspiring kids in the classroom and hopefully making positive impacts in the lives of kids who really need someone who cares. I found myself pausing many times during the days and just feeling fortunate. I honestly can't wait for next week when I have kids in my classroom! As for diabetes stuff, my blood sugars were rock solid last week and I don't think I could have done any better with my control. I've started working out at 5:30am so I can get a solid hour workout in before I have to go to school and I successfully got out of bed at 5:10 all five mornings last week. I feel as if my priorities in life are set. Over the past few years I've learned to focus on myself first before I can be the shining teacher I want to be. It hasn't always been easy but I know that if I eat healthy, exercise everyday, and set strong boundaries for the amount of time I put into my teaching, I'll be a better teacher and role model than I otherwise would be. I'm only a week into this new job but there are many things about it that just feel "right". My blood sugar average last week was 123 and my sensor average was 105 - I think I finally feel the rewards of all of the hard work I've put into analyzing what's going on with my numbers since coming back from camp. In a way things are more predictable and I can cruise at 80-100 for most of the day without worrying. We just came back from the Seattle Underground Tour downtown with Erik's parents who are in town and we've been having a great time with them! It's nice to have family in town and over the years I feel like I've grown closer to them. Tomorrow we have a chocolate factory tour with them at Theo - my absolute favorite organic & fair trade chocolate! I have to admit I've been on the tour with almost every out-of-town guest who has come to visit and it's always a great excuse to nibble on chocolate. Mmmmmmm. Maybe we'll have to do a get-together in Seattle next spring and go to Theo - just a thought! Ok, now that I've blogged I have to go back and read your posts so I can respond to what's going on in your lives!!! Hope all is well and I promise to blog, even when life gets busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment