Thursday, October 22, 2009

Goals, Dun dun dunh...

Soa, yeah, about those goals...let's see where I'm at. Keeping myself accountable! I've learned over the years not to set goals that are unachievable or will cause me to create unbalance in my life. My number one priority with going back to work has been still keeping a positive work life balance. I love what I do and I love working with kids, but I also enjoy playing hard. I think I keep the mentality of "don't work harder, just work smarter". Instead of "work hard to play hard", I like to think I "work smart to play hard"! I JUST REALLY LIKE TO PLAY! I've also learned to adapt to different situations life throws at you and change plans when needed. Enough rambling - back to the goal check in. The goal I set at DTC was to achieve and maintain an A1C of 6.5% or less by March 2010. Nice - no time crunch (well planned) and I've really made some great progress towards cruising down the road of lower A1C's. I've noticed since going back to work that I may have less time to test during the day but I can predict where my blood sugars are going to end up. It's amazing how dialed in my basals and ratios are - it makes life a lot easier and I feel "less diabetic" because it's less of a worry. I think I've been averaging right around 110 throughout the days. I guess it helps I'm a huge creature of habit and my daily schedule stays the same Monday through Friday. I can't say I've taxed my system with crazy 8 hour workouts lately but I've been hitting the gym for an hour every morning before school. Every day too - alarm goes off at 5:10 and I'm at the gym at 5:30 with no complaints. My main goal remains the same but the action steps I've taken to strive towards my goal have been adapted to fit my needs better now. Flexibility - that's the key! And I'm not talking touching your toes and turning yourself into a pretzel - I'm a long ways from that! Just one huge goal - that's the way I like it. Not too many goals or else I can't be flexible enough to accommodate the unforeseen circumstances that often arise in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment