Friday, September 18, 2009

The Art of Diabetes...

Friday was my "long run" day and by long run I mean 45 minutes Pepper - not 4 hours! It was the longest run I've purposefully run. I decided to hit the pavement when I didn't have any active insulin in my body and set a temp basal of 50% for 2 hours before my workout and I nailed it! I really did - I tested at the beginning and I started at 142 and ended at 96 and maintained that for an hour or so. I absolutely loved seeing how excited Chaco got when I asked him if he wanted to go for a run...seeing his drive on the run kept me going. He's become my running buddy! I promised myself I wouldn't look at my watch until I got to Fisherman's Terminal (2/3rds there) and I didn't actually look at my watch until I got closer to home. It was the first run I truly enjoyed - I was just running to run and I loved it! I felt great and felt like I could have easily gone twice as far. So the exciting point in the run was when I realized something that will probably stick in my mind for years to come - It's an ART, not a science...Diabetes is an ART! Where's this coming from? I've been frustrated over the years at the fact diabetes isn't an "exact science" as I've said and up until now, it was just frustration for someone so linear and math/science based. I've tapped into my artistic talent in the past few weeks after finishing my tile mosaic table and I've really enjoyed the fact that I could decide how the table would turn out. So anyways, on my run, I decided that it's all trial and error, similiar to art. I was excited to try a new strategy with decreasing basals and fueling - it's a bit of an art as well. Diabetes is all about finesse - try something and reflect, try something else and reflect, getting a bit closer at times and a bit further away at times. I can't expect perfection because there isn't a "perfect" in art...I can just give it the best I can! Today I went for a 4 hour, 47 mile bike ride and I kept my blood sugars between 111 and 132 the whole way. I guess you can say I had some art skills today - maybe not tomorrow, but today! Keep rockin' it!

No comments:

Post a Comment