Wednesday, September 30, 2009

DTC peeps unite in Seattle

I just got back from a night of hanging out with diabetics and I have a smile on my face. It's amazing how you can meet a diabetic for the first time and feel like you go way back with them, all in a matter of a few conversations in a few hours. I think there's a lot of bonding that takes place lamenting about the fact that our pancreases are slacking big time. Tonight was the first JDRF Diabetes Sports & Exercise Workshop in Seattle and it was great! I was lucky enough to hang out with three of the campers from DTC - Susannah, Greg, and Mike and it was really nice to catch up with them. I met a ton of new diabetics and I'm looking forward to building a strong support network in Seattle with the crew that was there tonight. There were probably about 40 people there - not a bad showing! We had a pretty informal talk with a local endocrinologist and a CDE/dietitian/exercise physiologist and just shared frustrations, strategies, and questions. I felt like I was still on a ridiculous high from DTC and wanted to share all I learned with everybody! Hopefully I wasn't talking too much - it's kinda my weak point when I get excited! I offered to take on the more social informal gatherings for the group and there was a lot of interest - more of the grab a beer and just chat type of crew. We'll see if that gets up and running! After the workshop, 4 of us went out to the bar and continued to get to know each other over a beer. I can't wait to see what comes of the JDRF Sports & Exercise group - it's a great start. The JDRF cycling group is having its annual party that I'm thinking of attending to get to know some of the riders and then Phil Southerland from Team Type 1 is coming to talk in a few weeks as well. Exciting stuff on the horizon - I can really feel the untapped potential!

No comments:

Post a Comment