Thursday, September 17, 2009

Here we go!!....

Let me voice it here, I am not going to let this blog be forgotten. I need extra motivation and accountablity checks very often. This is the perfect way to do it, more fun than email and a place to check in. I have also been on good behavior and finished my goal worksheet from camp. And Kate, there's no getting out of them, there will be repeat checks on us both (and anyone else reading and blogging). We mean serious stuff here!


I don't know if I have enough time for this since I'm on my break at work, but I can at least get started. DTC was the most amazing week I've ever had. My husband gives me a little frown face when I say that, but I am being honest with him as I try to explain. I've made an big effort to keep in touch with campers b/c I know these people have already given me so much. I'm much less hard on myself, much less nervous about highs/lows/"failures" plus the hilarious times at camp. From the moment camp started, I felt so incredibly comfortable, which I rarely feel to be honest. These people understand me. Maybe not understand my profession, family, or my past, but they understand what I've felt since I was 8. The frustration of so many things, just to start, hearing: "oh you have diabetes, so does my grandmother." No, no, no. These people know. I didn't need to explain why I needed to step off the track and eat something...actually, everyone was going low together which was a pretty exciting (?!) bonding moment. And towards the end of the week after my bike fitting, hammering it with some beastly diabetics on the ride was something I'll never forget. Pushing yourself to your limits is what we did and have been programmed to do. I often wonder if I'd be as healthy if I we're diabetic....thats another topic. But after camp, I got back home and wanted so badly to go back. Yes, I was happy to see my husband, but things just didn't feel right for a couple days. Even though I haven't experienced it, I would assume it would be like coming back from a long stay in a foreign country...being away and now thrown back into the real world. Lack of worries, judgement, work at camp mixed in with outdoor activities, education on what I've been looking for on the internet, and the friendships are what made it. Everyone, including staff, was having one of the best weeks of their lives. It totally exeeded my expectations and I had very high expectations for this camp. The initial transition is over and secretly waiting to go back next year but I'm now looking forward to strengthening the relationships I've made and continue to carry that supportive and non-judgemental environment into my real world. Then maybe I won't feel like I'm takling this thing with a butter knife. Peace out, Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment