Saturday, September 19, 2009

Remembering the good times.......

So I blogged during camp....wish I was back. Its a long one, just a warning, I never claimed to be quick about anything....tip, sit back with a glass of wine and enjoy the memories.


Thursday August 13


What a day—bottle this day, take a sip each day, live a long life. To be honest, this is the day I was somewhat nervous about. Long runs tend to be the hardest workouts for me. The factors of thinking about running for a extended period of time, holding a steady pace, and also the whole blood sugar issues that can come into play.

The first couple days of camp I was fighting steady hyperglycemia. I increased my basal rate overnight and this was the first morning I woke up at a great blood sugar (now, the pressure to keep it that way). After bolusing for breakfast, still a great number with a little cushion for the long workout. Wearing the continuous glucose monitor, I could see my blood sugar drop a little and hold steady just where I wanted to be....just in time to start carb intake appropriately. Everything feel in place and was turning out to be a great run. Yoli pointed out on the map how it was impossible to get lost. Off we go, JJ and I into a good pace comfortable to talk. Yoli didn’t realize how directionally challenged we were. We got lost, well, not technically lost, we just got off the trail. So we just turned around and did an out and back course instead of the intended loop. Pushing it towards the end, we met back up to Yoli (cheering us in as always!) and then I went out for another loop with Dr. Matt. I was so happy to be able to have such a good run with the person who gave me the knowledge and power to be able run with little blood sugar issues. Pretty incredible experience. Meeting up with Amy, the three of us completed the loop. Third loop was on my own. I was wearing an Half-Ironman shirt and this woman walking her dog the opposite way must have noticed. We met eyes and she asked me if I had done an Ironman. “Nope but I’m training for one in November.” She then introduced herself as the first female Ironman finisher, Lyn Lemaire. Wow, that was so random and pretty awesome!!! My husband googled her to make sure this was true, and sure enough she was the first in 1979. Craziness.

That afternoon we listened to a Dr. Matt lecture on something that every diabetic has issues with: glucose control during workouts. We reviewed lowering basal rates at certain times, reducing insulin to carb ratio for meal prior to the workout, and then taking in adequate carbs during. This seems straight forward but it’s amazing how individualized it is and also so variable from day to day. Lately, as soon as I feel like I have it right, something changes and I need to go back to the drawing board and trial/error again. It was very comforting seeing people also struggle with this and I felt privileged that this was not the first time I’d heard this. Before I knew these techniques, I had been completely off with timing of insulin and exercise. So off that I didn’t enjoy workouts—not something you want to have going into months of training for a long distance triathlon. Incredibly practical lecture.

After this we had a guest, Chris Dudley, a former NBA basketball player talk with us. His story was very inspiring because it was at a time where type 1 diabetics didn’t have all the resources we do now. I couldn’t imagine playing such a competitive level of sports plus not having the pump. He said something like I felt best when I was between 150-180. I thought it was interesting the whole week finding that 180 was kind of the cut off of how high your blood sugar should get. I feel that when I’m over 180, workouts don’t seem as strong and I was under the impression that this was just my random number. Didn’t seem that way. Anyway, I asked him if he felt like he ever got it right? He said he felt like he learned a lot and got better but never felt like everything always went perfectly. Very interesting since he’s doing the same thing everyday, very precise, and yet he still had difficulties (and of course many successes). He was so humble and it was great hearing about his story. Diabetics are accomplishing great things.

The night ended with adults eating BBQ outside, playing Frisbee, and learning to hula hoop. Camp should last forever.



Friday August 14th


After having such a spectacular day yesterday, I was excited to see what was next. The schedule each day is jam packed with workouts, meals, lectures and showering is optional when you can find the time. Today started out with a nutrition lecture and it was interesting learning a little about Celiac disease because there are many people here with it. Even though the dining hall does have some options for gluten free products, I imagine this is hard to deal with on a daily basis in the non-DCT world.

Grant, the bike dude, is one of the funniest people here. He’s sarcastic and looks to have a good time anywhere. My bike fitting was this morning and since I was having trouble keeping my eyes open while pedaling on the bike, I was not too conversational, but even in my sleepy haze, I got the most awesome bike fitting ever (soon to read below). He fit me for my aero position along with the typical road position. Perfectionist bike doctor and now I feel more comfortable on my bike.

Yumm....lunch.....again lost the carb counting contest. About 12 carbs off. Next time.

Afternoon workout was a highlight of the week. We were lead out by Celeste, but once the bike path hit, people took off. Testing out my new fit, I was amazed at how fast and more importantly feeling like I could get a full foot stroke with lots of power. When I went by my friend, I said, “gazelle on your left!” I was smoking. We got to the destination, a beautiful lake with mountain ranges on the horizon. We were met by many campers sunbathing who took a car there and so we had a cheering crowd as we made our way to the lawn. Swim caps on and swam from buoy to buoy. Celeste and Yoli then decided we were swerving wasting our energy so we were given a quick lesson on sighting. Focused on a stationary object---got it. Just swimming in open water is so relaxing and seeing people swim in a lake for the first time was pretty cool. Everyone had a great time. Then back on our bikes with dinner as the destination. I decided not to get into the pace line because number one I was feeling so good and two I wanted to get a strong ride in. The guys broke up the drafting line on a hill and I took off into no man’s land. Riding by myself for about 15 minutes without anyone in sight behind me, Patrick comes to the left of me on his rental road bike with one drop of sweat coming down his cheek and passes me like I stopped to treat a low. Haha, so JJ and Sara were right behind him and then I jump on to the back. From there all the way back the race was on. We were playing leap frog, one person from the back would test the person in the front. We were cranking out ridiculous speeds (I honestly didn’t have the extra energy to look but JJ said we were holding 26 mph...might I add with a little wind). Then the trail was over and I think we all were a little sad to have our competition over.

Dr. Matt’s lecture was all about hypoglycemic. His lectures are so practical that they are always great to listen to. You learn so much about why things happen like they do. The theory behind consecutive lows (many repeated lows in a one day or so) was very interesting, especially since there have been a couple times I can remember them happening. The lecture ended with a pretty hilarious story of Dr. Matt being a research guinea pig for his “friend.” They made his blood sugar go incredibly low---some friends! Props to him for trusting them and especially to go through with the experiment...

Ending the night were the skits, we had some pretty funny inside jokes throughout the week, and so these skits were all making fun of staff...what better way to end the night???



Saturday, August 15


Today is very sad day. Saying goodbye to some of the coolest people is what I had to do. This group of people made my experience at camp so much more fun. I had conversations with just about everyone and each one was special and unique. The environment at camp was nothing like I’d ever experienced and was supportive beyond imagination. The staff was pretty unbeatable, each one of them so encouraging, uplifting and positive, energetic....campers plus staff led to the best week of my life.

After the circle of everyone’s closing thoughts, I don’t think there was a dry eye. That was raw emotions and no guards up. I had some things to say, thanks to everyone that sat through my book. The overwhelming support for my future Ironman event was incredible. In my regular life, no one seems to understand the true challenge this will be....it’s the beauty of uniting people with diabetes.

Goodbyes are always tough, but this one seemed a bit different. I plan on keeping in touch with a couple friends. I’ll see the staff again when I come back to camp next year. The eight hour drive home was truly therapeutic and drove without boredom, laughing out loud, and wishing camp were a little bit longer.


Sunday, August 16


Adjusting to regular life will take a couple days. That’s what I noticed when I went out for a group run and decided to run on my own—my mind was in a different place and didn’t feel right to be chatty. I live in San Francisco and was on such a beautiful run around the Presidio Park overlooking the Golden Gate bridge. In the middle of my run, I sat down for a minute and watched the waves crash against the rocks just thinking about the last week. Best week of my life? I think that is clear. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that you blogged during camp - thanks for sharing the moments so we can relive them! Awh, camp, I miss it too!

    ReplyDelete