Friday, September 18, 2009

Goals & life beyond diabetes...


I've always set goals in my life but most of them have been "secret goals", goals I only knew and didn't make a point to share with others. Why secret goals? Maybe I'm scared of failing, maybe I loose motivation and don't always want to be held accountable, maybe because I'm a little bit of a perfectionist and my goals have always been unachievable and somewhat out of my control. Who knows! Coming off of Diabetes Training Camp (DTC from now on), I decided I wouldn't keep my goals a secret anymore because I realized that I need to learn to rely on other people to keep me motivated for the long haul. My main goal is that I want to have an A1c of 6.5% or less in the next 6 months to prepare myself for pregnancy. I'm close but not quite there. I think pregnancy is going to be one wild and crazy ride and if I have good control going into it, Erik and I will enjoy the journey and the adventure that much more. Whoa, a little Makinson running around - now that's a scary thought! My 3 action steps are: 1) Build a strong base by tweaking pump settings, 2) focus on accurate carb counting, and 3) maintain a weekly average of 80% on 3 daily tasks - logging blood sugars, working out, and walking our hilariously spazzy poocho Chaco. I continue to plug along on my goals and things are actually falling into place pretty nicely. I'm working on not being too hard on myself when all hell breaks loose with diabetes, because I've learned there are usually more questions than answers but I can only give it my best shot every day. Enough about diabetes, that's only a small fraction of who I really am! I finished my first 5K race last weekend and it felt great! Being one of 2,000 women at the Aflac Iron Girl was pretty inspiring and yesterday I signed up for my first 10K. It's 4 weeks away and I've mapped out a training plan between now and then. I think I'm using running as a stress reliever during this time of unemployment and I really enjoy the time of the day when I throw my shoes on and Chaco and I hit the pavement - something about it feels so good. I can't wait for this weekend - getting new ski boots for the season, new ski pants, Fremont Octoberfest with friends (I scored free tickets!), JDRF Bike Ride on Sunday, maybe even a native plants gardening talk as well. I love weekends, especially the amazing breakfasts we always seem to make! Here's to setting manageable goals, sharing them with others, and keeping a positive attitude even when I don't nail things 100% all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment