Friday, September 18, 2009

To Kate and random rambles

Kate, first off, my hat's (okay I wear visor's) off to you! I'm so excited you're motivating yourself to keep up with the running and heading in the direction of a 10K! You will rock it out and have an amazing experience! All those doggie runs will pay off---does Seattle have any doggie friendly races? I know they have lots in Denver so they probably do in Green Seattle. Keep up with the running b/c my goal buddy is going to do a triathlon before she knows it. You'd be the perfect candidate for it b/c they are more like adventure races than running races. There is a triathlon called Wildflower that everyone camps out for the weekend (mainly cause there are no hotels around) and go INTO the race all smelly...good thing the swim is first b/c its the only shower people have seen in days. Anyone willing to do that has gotta have some spunk to their life.


Glad to hear you've been sticking out your goals. When's your next A1c? I have the exact same target and mine will be next Monday!! AH! As a teenager, I found out that there is a couple ways to cheat the system...but this time I've been honest. And obviously no reason to cheat the system when you've got a higher goal of preparing for being prego. Are you working with a prenatal endo? I've heard some work closely with an endo even before they become pregnant, but I don't know if that's a insurance battle or what. Its awesome you have a cgm, that will help tons.


Those pesky basal tests! They DO take up so much of your time. Sounds like you got good data and made changes where needed. I find that I keep needed to make changes due to my training schedule b/c some weeks are more intense than others and different activities do different things to my insulin sensitivity. Unfortunately, they never seem to stay still for me, but I tweak them at various times. One thing I dread doing is logging. I try to do them at night, taking notes throughout the day, but I seriously do not like doing them. It forces me to be accountable for the day. Seeing a high--well, what did I do wrong? Did I estimate carbs incorrectly, give too little insulin, was it after a workout or pump disconnect?...This is the part where I have been much more forgiving since camp. We are trying to do something so intricate, so many hormones involved, so many other systems involved with feedback loops. Endocrine system in Anatomy and Physiology was the most difficult...you've got everything involved. Cardiac system is so straight forward. Can anyone replace my pump with a daily pill, hell I'll take a it 3-4 times a day...so many conditions are well controlled by a nicely colored pill but the endocrine system is so complicated. I struggle with this each day when patients in Emergency Department don't take their blood pressure medication b/c they don't feel bad or admit just laziness in getting the prescription refill. (I'm not even talking about the people that can't afford it or get insurance...etc...) But I'm sitting here trying to be as healthy as I can and struggling to maintain control mixed in with exercise and I'm suppose to give you sympathy? Hum...sorry a little off topic.

My daily goal: to think about the job we are doing every minute of every day and feel a sense of pride. We are accomplishing and doing a damn good job at it! Cheers to that.

Peace out, LL Lancet

No comments:

Post a Comment